03 May, 2012

Hindu Khalsa Flags - Part 2

Continuing with my last post on the Hindu-Khalsa flags & how the final 'Sikh' flag evolved under the SGPC. Today it is unimaginable that there was a time when a traditional Saffron flag with the motif of Durga Mata flew above the Shri Harimandirji, thanks to the fraud of Tat Khalsa. As is seen in most of the earlier paintings that the Khanda was not the emblem at all of the 'Sikhs' during the time of the Gurus - upto the 10th Guru in fact - until the SGPC decided to give Sanatan Sikhi a different colour set apart from its Hindu heritage that had continued during the time of all the Gurus. Though, however, Khanda is the assortment of the various weapons of Hindu Goddess Shakti Durga & still the present 'Sikh' emblem is very much a part of Hindu tradition that was prevalent several centuries ago.

Painting circa : 18th century - of a Hindu Khalsa army

Khalsa flags bearing the Hindu Goddesses of war

Sketch of Shri Harimandirji ca 19th century ( 1874 AD). The flags hoisted at the top  have the tulwar, kattar & dhal

Close up of the above image

A clearly visible Saffron flag carried by the Hindu Khalsa of Guru Gobindji's army

Wall painting. Temple of Bairagis, Hoshiarpur circa:19th century- 10th Guruji with the Hindu Khalsa holding a simple flag 

circa: 18th century - 10th Guruji with his Khalsa army & a red-saffron flag

circa: end 17th century-early 18th century - a very simple flag

circa: 18th century - 10th Guruji with the Khalsa carrying a saffron flag  that has the symbols of dagger, sword & dhal

circa : 18th century - the 4 Sahibzadas - the flag is yellow & simple background

circa: 18th century - 10th Guruji with his army- a simple yellow flag with sword, dagger & dhal

A close up of the flag

Painting circa: 19th century - Baba Deep Singhji - the Khanda symbol  is visible  at the top of his turban but in the background the old styl of flag is visible also.

Closer view of the flag in the background

Guru Gobind Singhji inspiring the Hindu Khalsa army at Anandpur Sahib. Painting : 1930s
A close up of the flag carried by the Khalsa & the dhal shield & tulwar sword is visible behind the bird.

A very ancient Khanda belonging to the Chola tradition of India

circa: late 19th- early 20th century Khalsa military turban badge. The emblem  consists of a khanda sword above a chakra, two crossed curved swords, two axes within the chakra. 
circa: 19th century - Maharaja Ranjit Singhji with Hari Singhji. Behind is the shield, two tulwars & a bow across

Closer view 

circa: late 19th - early 20th century - the 10 Gurujis. Emblem at the top of the painting has two tulwars, a bow, a dhal & a trishul at the centre. While both the emblems at the bottom of the painting have two axes, two tulwars & trishul at the centre of the dhal.
Closer view of the emblem at the top of the painting

Closer view of the emblem at the bottom of the painting
Painting circa: late 19th - early 20th century - all ten Gurujis.  The emblem at the top has two swords, a bow, a Chakra & trishul, while the two emblems at the bottom of the painting have two battle axes, a bow, two swords, a Chakra & trishul spear at the centre.

Shiv Swaroopi Hindu Sant with the Addh Chand.
Shiv Swaroopi Akali Nihang

Shiv Swaroopi Akali Nihang

Closer view of the painting with a Nihang & all the Hindu weapon symbols 

1912 - Vancouver, British Columbia. The emblem is part of a letterhead of a mining company run by Sikh immigrants in Canada. Visible in the emblem is a large Khanda, two banners, two curved tulwar swords & a Chakra.

1904 : Golden Temple- The Photo shows schoolboys at Shri Harimandirji . They are wearing turbans which were  of a common style all over Northern India. There are Hindus as well standing in the background, one is a Brahmin teacher while there are some who haven't covered their heads. It seems like all Gurudvaras of the time, the Shri Harimandirji was also a great centre of learning, where there were Brahmin teachers & Hindu murtis also were inside the HariMandirji before the Christian Missionaries under the British threw them out to make the complex a Christian centre in 1906. In the far background, the Miri Piri flags are visible  - having the Dhal, Kattar & Khanda.
A close up where the symbols are very visible. Flags bear the shield, tulwar & dagger.

To be continued....